Sunday, September 19, 2010

Celebrities

Tonight Jon and I decided to head over to NorthPark Mall to have dinner and do a little shopping.  Really the only store I really cared about going in was Peek…Aren’t You Curious—which, by the way, is my favorite kids’ clothing store of all time.  And, although it practically kills me and goes against everything I hold sacred and true, I did happen to pay full price for two adorable little girls dresses and leggings tonight…but, I digress from the point of this post.
So, we were walking toward our final destination, the duck and turtle fountain, as promised to Liam, when we had a completely chance encounter with the former First Lady, Laura Bush.  Here’s what happened:
Jon and I realize that it’s a pretty cool and somewhat unique thing to have twin babies.  What we really weren’t expecting was what a commotion that they cause whenever we go anywhere, but malls seem to be especially crazy.  We figure that probably about 30% of the people we pass make comments to each other, stop to ask us about them, point, etc.  Additionally, when you throw an active two-year-old into the mix, it causes even more of a ruckus.  Last week, my brother Patrick said he felt like he was out with celebrities when we went to the mall with him.  It’s pretty strange for us.  And tonight was no exception.  Jon and I had just been discussing how weird it is for us to spend so much time talking to random strangers and getting so many looks and attention in public places, when we saw her.
Three people were strolling toward us, two pretty, nicely dressed ladies and a gentleman following close behind.  One of the two in front was pointing at the girls who were riding in the stroller. She continued pointing and made a comment to the woman who was walking beside her.  Jon and I both smiled, like we usually do, when I realized who was pointing and, now, waving at the girls—Laura Bush!  As we passed them, she warmly met our eyes and said, “Congratulations.”  We smiled and said thanks, and I couldn’t help but look back.  And she was glancing back at us.  She had an expression on her face that made me feel like maybe she was thinking about her own twin baby girls.  Maybe how fast they grow up.  Maybe how it seems like yesterday that she and George were pushing them around a mall and getting lots of lingering glances and words of encouragement and inquiry from complete strangers.  Maybe how she missed those days when her twin girls were babies.

Anyway, Jon and I both agree that Laura Bush is much more beautiful in person and seems to have a kind and thoughtful aura about her.  She's more petite than I would have imagined, too.  Seeing her at NorthPark is something we'll never forget.  We only wished we would have asked her for some advice on raising twins...

2 comments: