Friday, February 8, 2013

Inclusion Works!

Faith and family always comes first in my life, but as far as my career goes, I'm completely devoted to the field of special education.  I love being an inclusion teacher.  When presented with the opportunity to attend Inclusion Works, the state inclusion conference in Austin, my geek flag started waving like hurricane winds were fast approaching.  Jon, being the super hero dad that he is, immediately encouraged me to go, without any qualms of flying solo in the parenting realm for three days.  I love him.
Like all conventions, there has been dynamic speakers, mediocre presenters, and some others who weren't so terrific.  My favorite by far has been Paula Kluth, the keynote speaker and an inspirational special educator-turned-author/consultant.  I've got some big dreams, ideas, plans, and visions that I can't wait to discuss with the powers-that-be in my district.  Special education really is such an amazing, fascinating field, and I'm so happy I stumbled into all those years ago as a Baylor sophomore when I signed up to take "Intro to Special Education" because a friend of mine was also enrolling, and it was the only education class that would fit into my schedule.  I know that it was not a stumble, but a Divine push.
Besides the conference schedule, I've even had a chance to shop, dine in style, get a pedicure, and catch a foreign film with co-worker and friend, so it's really felt like a bit of a vacation.  I'll be so happy to see my Marin, Liam, Ellery, and Jon when we return home tomorrow, but I'll leave with my teaching battery charged and ready for action on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment