Saturday, August 11, 2012

To Marin, Regarding Modesty

A letter to my future little lady...

Dear 16-Year-Old Marin,
On Tuesday, I took you and your brother and sister to play at the Ark. It's too hot to be outside for long, and little legs need to run, and little arms need to climb, so off we went. After five minutes in the toddler area, you and Ellery decided that it was time to graduate and join your brother in the "big kid" zone. You were so brave, taking off down the jumbo slide, navigating the big rollers, and climbing to the tippy-top of the play area. We had a fun indoor picnic lunch, and since the three of you were having such a great time, I decided we could stay for a bit longer. (The truth is, sometimes it's easier for a mama to watch her three babies when they are contained in tubes and nets...)  Anyway, after lunch I settled into my observation spot, casually monitoring the whereabouts of you, Liam, and Ellie. I was taking just a second to respond to a text message when, with a quick glance up, I saw a pair pink socks clinging to bare legs, a bare torso, and arms running through the long maze of giant bouncy balls. I immediately recognized that of head of brown curls among the nets. Oh.No. But, at least your diaper was still on...lately at home that's been coming off, too! A second later, you were perched at the top of that long, big-kid slide for your grand finale--sailing down the dips, clad only in bright pink socks and a diaper, wearing a giant grin on your face and waving your sundress during your descent. Some of the other moms who were monitoring the situation chuckled, and one said, "It must be pretty warm up there."  One or two may have given each other a glance to indicate that their son or daughter would never have behaved so scandalously, but I didn't pay attention to them. After dressing you for the second time that day, I gave you a big hug and sternly whispered in your ear, "Marin Jane, you need to keep your clothes on! Do.Not.Take.Your.Dress.Off.Again."  You smiled and hugged me tight as you purred, "MaaaaaMaaaaa."  Inside, I was thinking about how much fun it is to be your mom. You and your shenanigans bring smiles and laughter to our lives every single day. That being said, now that you're a young lady, all articles of clothing should always stay on and in tact.

No comments:

Post a Comment