Friday, October 16, 2009

Temper Tantrums Sometimes Work


Yesterday I took Liam to the doctor for this 18-month check-up and his flu shot. It was very important to me that both of these things happened when I brought him in because I didn't want to deal with taking time off work and spending my afternoon at the doctor's office and because that would mean another $30 co-pay. Since everyone seems to want a flu shot this year, I decided to call and make sure they still had them in stock. If not, I'd just reschedule the appointment. "Yes, yes, we have plenty of flu shots left." I even asked the receptionist when we arrived if they still had them. "Yes, yes we have plenty of flu shots left." When they called Liam's name to go back to the examination room, I asked the nurse if he would get the shot at the end of the visit. "Oh, we don't have any flu shots left. Sorry. Ran out this morning." Excuse me?!? I knew I wasn't hearing her say they were out. The next few minutes were a blurry rage. I'm pretty sure I didn't tell her that any responsible doctor's office would call the patient before they took time off of work to come in to let them know that they had run out of the vaccines. I don't think it was me who said that unlike lot of their patients who don't even have to pay a co-pay and medicaid picks up their tab, every time I step foot in their office, I have to pay out of my own pocket. And for good measure, I'm sure I didn't add that we've had to wait way too long one too many times in the exam rooms, and I was switching doctors. No, I'm sure that I would never say those things. But, I guess Jon may have sensed my frustration as I relaid the news to him over the phone while he was on his conference period at school. He immediately left school and headed over to where his wife was losing her cool. Before I knew it, he was striding into the exam room where the doctor was kindly explaining that they had indeed made a mistake, and Liam's flu shot would be delivered shortly. Thank you very much.

After leaving the doctor's office, Liam and I headed down to the lab to get blood drawn to make sure he doesn't have lead poison. They do this to the poor kid once or twice a year, since we live in an old home. Boy, did he throw a fit when they poked him and started filling two tubes with blood. He screamed! He thrashed! Finally, one of the ladies in the office gave him a teddy bear (see picture above)to make him feel better, and it worked.

So, in the end, Liam and I both learned a little fussing, kicking, and screaming seems to work wonders when you're trying to get things done at the doctor's office.

No comments:

Post a Comment