Sunday, July 26, 2009

Most Women Do


A few days ago my Mom, Liam, and I ran to Walmart to grab some groceries. In my parents' little town, the greeters at Walmart really do more than greet...they have full-on conversations about the weather, the price of gas, their best friend's rose garden, or whatever else comes to mind. As we were loading Liam in a cart, the greeter came over to us and started chatting it up with my mom. Most people in Owatonna, my hometown, know this guy. He looks like an elderly version of Rhett Butler and always ends his greeting encounters by saying, "Peace be with you." Anyway, Liam, being the social bug that he is, loved having elderly Rhett's attention. Immediately, my mom and I realized that Mr. Greeter thought that Liam was a girl. My mom tried so hard to point out Liam's true gender by saying things like, "We love to have HIM here," and "HE'S a pretty curious little guy." In a last ditch effort, she said, "HE really loves being out-and-about." At that comment, our friendly Walmart greeter turned to my mom and proclaimed, "I hate to tell you this, my dear, but most women do." Enough. We were done trying, and I'm still holding-out on the haircut. Don't you think his curls are way too cute to cut just yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment