Sunday, April 13, 2014

So Far...

April 13, 1974.
My single-digit years were grounded in a loving family, Sundays at church, cross-country road trips in hot cars, special times with grandparents, the excitement of holidays, meeting Jesus, new school years, a move to a different town, weekend parades, festivals, and trips to the zoo.
My teen years saw new friendships, different schools, discovering and accepting Jesus, big bangs, braces, European travels, college applications, making big life decisions, driving old cars, and tearful goodbyes as my parents dropped my off at Baylor.
The twenty-something years were spent in Texas, Minnesota, and back to Texas, staying close with family a thousand miles apart, garage apartments, singles departments at church, taking risks, a Bachelor and a Masters degree, traveling the world, forming life-long friendships, new cars, new jobs, solo living in big city apartments, and sweet roommates to share coffee, hopes, and dreams.
At thirty, I found my guy.  The following decade has consisted of dates, marriage proposals, house buying, weddings, saying goodbye to precious grandmothers, appreciating and missing faraway family, lots of travel by air and car to Minnesota, hours spent teaching middle school, developing roles in a church family, international and road trips, and a sweet baby boy, and cuddly twin girls two years later.'
April 13, 2014.
Today I ushered in the 40s surrounded by the love of my husband, children, parents, and siblings. My little Liam (who will be SIX tomorrow), waved his palm branch as he and his friends marched around the church sanctuary.  My sweet Marin woke me up this morning by rubbing her nose on mine and whispering, "Nugga, Nugga, Mama."  My precious Ellery wished me happy birthday about 2,000 times today.  Jon, my partner in this life, wrote sweet words to me and, like every day, made me feel loved and treasured.  My parents shared the annual retelling of my birth story, traveled to Texas so I could hug them and shared this celebration weekend with us.  They hosted a beautiful birthday brunch for me that included my wonderful in-laws, grand in-laws, and chocolate raspberry cake.  My best sister surprised me with an incredible stroll down memory lane in a video she created.  Both my brothers called with birthday wishes and love.  Countless texts from friends. Even a sweet birthday song left on my voicemail by a precious student and her sister.  
If this is the first day of 40, I can't wait to see what the rest of the decade holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment