Friday, July 20, 2012

So Long, Grand Marais


Last Friday we left Grand Marais.  I love that little town.  I've been coming to it since I was teeny tiny like my kiddos.  I have so many happy, happy memories of the place...ice cream trips to Leng's Fountain and combing the beach for agates with my Dad, watching my Grandparents set up their camper at the municipal camp grounds, seeing people stand in line for breakfast donuts at the World's Best Donuts, shopping with my Mom in Ben Franklin, observing black bear rummage for food in the local dump, skipping rocks on the beach with my brothers and sister, picking blueberries on the Gunflint Trail, campfires on the beach, listening to the Canadian geese honk at each other, finding pretty books of poetry at Drury Lane, breakfasts of raisin rye toast at the East Bay Hotel, swimming in the community pool, sampling Beth's Fudge, and just breathing in the fresh lake air.  Now I can add the moments shared with my husband and my three babes to my history of Grand Marais.  So instead of saying good-bye, we just said so long until next summer.








No comments:

Post a Comment